Yarmouth Massachusetts History
In 1696, the Old Yarmouth Inn was home to Sears, Roebuck & Co. and its first store in Massachusetts and the first in Massachusetts.
Many of my neighbors and classmates were descendants of old Yarmouth families and would appreciate how they were connected to Cape Cod and Yarmouth. English settlers who came to what is now Yarmsouth and Freeport in the 1630s lived for generations of Indians in the countryside between Royal and Wessex. Pilgrims William Bradford and Myles Standish took up this idea and imagined a channel that would be dug to become the CapeCod channel. They built a house and farmed land in Royal - W Escastogo on the present site of the Old Yarmedouth Inn, near the intersection of Route 1 and Route 2. In the early 17th century they lived and fished ashore in and around the area of today's YARMOUTH and Dennis.
The original plantation in North Yarmouth, built in 1680, included much of what was then included in Falmouth, including the present-day town of Freeport and the area around the intersection of Route 1 and Route 2. Large boulders known as "white rocks" were used to build the Cape Cod Canal, the first canal of its kind in the United States. The ancient "North Yarmington" became part of a larger area in what is now Yarmouth, which included parts of what is now Yarmedouth, Dennis and Freepoint, and parts of North and South Yarmington and Northampton.
North Yarmouth preserves some of the earliest records of the area dating back to the 16th century, including a signed copy of a Declaration of Independence. Most of these important records are currently kept in the vault of the Historical Society of North Yarmuk, but some are available for research. Part of this historical survey is from a story written for the Maine Community Heritage Project (MCHP), which is funded by the Maine Historical Society.
In the mid-19th century, North Yarmouth, Massachusetts, was one of the wealthiest cities in the state.
The present-day towns of Yarmouth and Dennis totalled about 2,200 square kilometres of land, and the present-day town of Wesleyan on the Cousins rivers covered about 1.5 hectares. The first European settlers, William Royall and John Cousins, the first "European settlers," settled in North Yarmouth from the late 18th century. The Royals built houses and farmed the land between the W Escastogo and Cousins rivers and Freeport, near the town of Chittenden County, as well as in the surrounding area.
After less than ten years, hostilities between the settlers and the Abenaki forced the abandonment of the second settlement. As in much of northern England, North Yarmouth continued to struggle with its indigenous neighbours. Partly as a result of this conflict, 65 colonists from North Jarmour were driven out of the land where they had settled.
At that time, all of North Yarmouth, with the exception of a small part of North Jarmour, was transferred to historic New England. At that time, only the property of John Winslow, the colonel, and his wife Mary from Historic New England was transferred, but not to the city itself.
This particular act of legislation also created the National Register of Historic Districts, which includes the entire city of Yarmouth and parts of North Yarmour, South Yarmour and North Boston. All of these districts have been and are under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and all have national registries of Historic Districts, but only one of them is located in the city itself, at the corner of Main Street and South Street.
The National Register of Historic Places provides information on the history of the city of Yarmour and its historic neighbourhoods. Members who are not from the Boston area will appreciate this, as it contains information from the first issue of the Yarmouth's Historical Society of Boston, which has been published quarterly since 1847. The library is distributed by the Massachusetts State Library in Boston and other public libraries throughout the state and across the country.
It has an interpretative gallery that focuses on the history of the region, from the early days of settlement to current topics and changing exhibits. Originally used by Captain Braddock Matthews and in operation until 1891, the windmill was restored by the City of Yarmouth in 1999 and allows visitors to visit a mill that was once a common place to see the historic buildings of the town and its historic landscape. There is a large collection of historical photos, maps and other historical documents collected by both the Historical Society and the Old Y Armor.
Yarmouth can also be explored on the Olde Cape Cod Discovery Trail, which allows guests to walk and drive on a self-guided tour of the waterways of CapeCod. Anchoring in Cape Cod Bay and a view of the area Gasnold named "Cape Cod" after him.